Monday, November 20, 2006

Obsessions

I'm not feeling particularly top-drawer today and frankly, I don't feel like writing something terribly clever. Rather, I will share with you a few of my various obsessions.

Russell Crowe (a.k.a., "My husband, Russell Crowe").

I don't remember when it started, but it was sometime after I saw "L.A. Confidential". Suddenly it occurred to me that this guy had managed to flip a switch in my brain that has yet to be turned off. Is it his eyes? His body? His cantankerous attitude towards the press? His varied interests-- such as music and his ranch? His fabulous grumbly voice (that I imagine whispering in my ear)? His enormous acting talent? I don't know what it is, but holy crap... he is at the top of my list.

How My Feet Look

I have nice feet and I take very good care of them. It is of the utmost importance that they are pedicured, pumiced, lotioned, and dressed up in cute shoes at all times. I look at other women's feet too, and if I see dry, cracked skin or dirty toenails, I want to scream.

My Family History

On one side of my family, our ancestry can be traced clear back to England prior to the Crusades. On the other side of the family, we can trace it back to abooouuuuuut... the birth of my Grandmother. Even that event is plunged in mystery. The stark difference between the two families is kind of funny and ironic and I like to think about it, do research on it, and ponder all of the unanswered questions presented by such a passtime.

Food

Oh God... I love food. Love, love, love it. All food. Any food. Bad or good food. How is it prepared? How long does it take? Are there other variations of this recipe? I will try any food with the exception of bugs, and might even consider that-- IF the bugs were prepared well. One of my goals in life is to go to Scotland and try haggis. How bad could it be really?

Books

History books, biographies, autobiographies, poetry, interior design, political, art, parapsychology, the occult, true crime, animals... all kinds of books. The only books I don't like reading are those of fiction, because I get impatient reading them. A contradiction: most of my favorite books are fiction. Hm.

Animals

Come to my house and you will see that I am obsessed with animals, as I have a house filled with them. I cannot pass a dog on the street without loving it up. I can't see a cat without trying to make friends with it. Cows, guinea pigs, birds, lizards... I love them all. Except hairy spiders that jump. They aren't animals though-- so it's okay not to like them (because they suck).

Cemeteries

This obsession draws the wrath of one friend: "It's MORBID that you like graveyards. They're scary and full of dead people." Cemeteries sure are full of dead people, but I disagree that they're morbid and scary. I think cemeteries are very peaceful and filled with history. To me, gravestones are a source of wonder and endless ideas.

Sleep

I love to sleep (even though my dreams trouble me-- more on that in another post) and a good night's sleep is imperative to my well-being.

Speaking of which, the little pills I take to get that good night's sleep are kicking in as I write this, so this concludes today's List of Obsessions. We all have 'em!

No comments: