Saturday, September 25, 2010

La Queen

My beautiful friend "Q" passed away on Wednesday, September 21, 2010.

If you'd met her, you'd think to yourself, "How is it someone so beautiful can be so down-to-earth? She is priceless. I want her in my life forever."

I tried to have her in my life forever, but unfortunately, she left last week.

Her name wasn't "Q" of course. She had a real name, but I, in my insistence on giving all my friends and family nicknames, called her "La Queen". She did not like that. So I changed it to "Q", for "Queen", because dear reader, she was a queen. She was not aware of this fact. This was a large portion of her appeal; her complete ignorance of the effect she had on all those she met.

There are so many things I long to say of her here, but they have to be left for another time.

In the meantime, I'm storing things in my head to tell you about her, because she was amazing and I want you to know that she was here. God, I loved her. So many people did.

In the next 24 hours, every single beautiful thing you experience-- whether it's a song on the radio, a soft word from a friend or lover, a clear night sky, a delicious piece of pie, anything-- that is what Q was like to me. And you know what knowing her would have been like.

I love you, Gina. Gina, I'll miss you until the end of my days, then I'll see you again, my good friend!

1 comment:

Jay DePoy said...

She was a queen in a glass castle, with too many rocks thrown at her.

I join you in this ache. Speechless.