Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Unwashed Horde

Tonight I received another lesson in humility, wherein my path joined that of the White Trash Horde.

After washing my filthy laundry at the coin-op, I went to Wendy's and ate a cheeseburger with fries, chewing away in a desultory manner while Dexie's Midnight Runners played over the loudspeakers. Afterward, I drove to Wal-Mart, where I bought some crappy produce and fought crowds of tired, grumpy people. I made my way out to the car and loaded my groceries in the trunk. I drove home while smoking a ciggy. Once home, I hauled my laundry and groceries up the steps to my apartment.

With tonight's "events", I've been reminded I'm no different than those folks at Wal-Mart-- the everyday people who live their lives under the radar, the men and women who lead their lives the best they can. No matter how smart, special and clever you think you are, how dazzling you look, what a nice shiny life you lead-- at one point or another, you're going to wind up living a bare bones existence, and you wouldn't recognize yourself, even if someone held a mirror up to your face.

No comments: