Thursday, February 08, 2007

Cold Mountain

While frozen to my couch these last several days, I've been rereading "Cold Mountain".

With this book in existence, why would anyone say, "I hate to read"?

Every conceivable human emotion is examined in its pages. One becomes lost in time reading its words. Every kind of person you've met in your life is represented in the tale. Love, revenge, tragedy, death, survival, hope, faith, beauty, cruelty-- all are in there.

In rereading this book and in the current state of mind I'm in, I won't read the last chapter. Instead, I'll close the book. This way, Inman and Ada will always be in their cabin by the creek, making plans to take their grandchildren up on the mountain and show them the arrowhead buried in the bark of the poplar tree.

No comments: